Thursday, August 20, 2009

gone

that's it.

it's over.

he's gone.

and so is the pain.

grandpa's poor body succumbed to the cancer around noon today, august 20, 2009.
he's pain free.
and with grandma. (at least i tell myself that to make it easier)
nearly 13 long years apart. now they are back together.

he left behind quite a family....
5 kids
10 grandkids
11 great grandkids
1 great great grandkid (and another on the way)

(i think i counted correctly, but i could be wrong!)

so now, we will push through 1 more day of work before making the trip south.

we will visit with family and old friends (and gpa's crazy family, that's a post in itself!! they're mennonite!)

and we will say goodbye.

and be thankful the pain is gone.

6 comments:

Marissa said...

i'm so sorry ali. i hope he trip 'home' is filled with stories, memories, laughter & a peaceful goodbye to your grandpa.

bless you all.

darcie said...

thinking of you Ali -
hugs to you and yours - enjoy your time with your family, even though it's not under the best of circumstances - it's still nice to be together

dwalkertx said...

There is nothing I could say that would make this experience any easier for you but I would like to offer something anyway. Netflix "This American Life" season 2 (or go to the video store, whatever you do) and go to the last episode on the disk. It's called 'John Smith'...it may give you a little different perspective on life.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry Ali. The pain of loosing someone is always horrific. But take comfort he's no longer in pain and is with the love of his life.

Many hugs.

AKA "Meesh" said...

I'm so sorry.
I hope you enjoy your trip South, and can remember all the wonderful memories! He is with his love now, and how beautiful is that!

ryanandjoesmom said...

Wish I could give you a hug in person.